Paris (Feb. 16)
(Jewish Telegraphic Agency)
The funeral of Simeon Youshkevitch, Russian Jewish playwright and novelist, was held here yesterday. Eulogies were delivered by Milioukoff, well known Russian and leader of the former Cadet party, Rabbi Eisenstadt, Heinrich Sliosberg and Sholom Asch.
ODESSA COLONISTS APPEAL TO RELATIVES IN U. S. FOR LIVE STOCK AND MATERIAL
Jewish colonists of Odessa have addressed an appeal to thir relatives in America for funds for live stock and for building and repair work. The appeal has been received by the American Ort, through the Cooperative Tool Supply Company of Berlin and the Odessa Ort.
The Odessa agricultural region numbers approximately one thousand families who have been settled on the land and have adapted themselves to gardening under the supervision of the Ort and with the help of the Joint Distribution Committee.
The colonies have shown growth within the past few years, the number of desiatins under cultivation growing from 841 in 1923 to 5,239 the beginning of 1926. In the same period the average of cultivated land per family grew from 1,61 desiatins to 9,58. The colonies from which the appeals have come are Fryheim, Friling, Novy Mir, Fryerd, Bolgarka and Najheim.
The American Ort has addressed itself to relatives mentioned in the appeal and has offered to supply 25% of the cost of the necessities asked for. This amount is supplied through the funds of the Ort in Russia, which are insufficient to meet the complete needs of the settlers. The Ort is also arranging with the American relatives for payment of the balance on terms. Arrangements are made by the Ort to satisfy the needs of the colonists as soon as the first payment is made by the American relative.
Max Lacher, President of the Home of the Sons and Daughters of Israel, New York City, announced that plans have been completed for the erection of a new home as a cost of more than $400,000. The new home will be erected on the site occupied by the present building and will accommodate 400 inmates. Work or the new building will begin May 13.