Cleveland, O (May. 4)
(Jewish Daily Bulletin)
The Temple of Cleveland will celebrate the Tenth Anniversary of Dr. Abba Hillel Silver’s ministry in that congregation on May 25.
Dr. Silver succeeded the late Rabbi Moses J. Gries in 1917. During his ten-year occupancy of The Temple puipit, the membership of the Congregation has doubled. It now numbers 1,475 families. The Religious School of The Temple and its High School number more than 1,400 children, and The Temple Women’s Association has 1,650 members. During the ministry of Dr. Silver the new Temple at Ansel Road and East 105th Street was built, at a cost of $1,350,000 and dedicated in 1924.
Dr. Silver led in the organization of the Cleveland Bureau of Jewish Education in 1924, which fosters a community-wide program of Jewish Education for Orthodox and Reform Jews. The Bureau supports all the existing Talmud Torahs as well as the free Sabbath Schools of the city. Dr. Silver has been president of the Bureau since its inception.
Dr. Silver is Honorary Vice-President of the Consumers League of Ohio. In 1921 he was chosen one of the arbitrators in the Builders’ strike of that year. Dr. Silver is Vice-President of the Zionist Organization of America. His book on “Messianic Speculations in Israel” will be published by the Macmillan Company in May.
A protest against the anti-Jewish excesses in Roumania was issued at the annual meeting of the Philadelphia Federation of Roumanian Jews held in that city. The sum of $1,000 was contributed by those present for relief in Roumania.
Fourteen Jewish organizations were represented at the session of the Federation.
Leo Wolfson, president of the National Federation of Roumanian Jews, Herman Speier, and Morris Floria addressed the session. J. Hampton Moore, former Mayor of Philadelphia, also spoke. Abraham Hirsh, President of the local Federation, presiden.