Chicago (Jul. 11)
(Jewish Daily Bulletin)
Aaron Sapiro, announced today he expected settlement of his $1,000,000 libel suit against Henry Ford to be “practically completed” by tonight.
In his first detailed statement since publication of Ford’s retraction Sapiro said he was “entirely satisfied” and that he believed “Mr. Ford is absolutely sincere in his retraction.”
“When the suit against Mr. Ford was filed our purpose was to make him realize the libelous and untruthful nature of the attack on the Jewish people,” Sapiro said. “I believe that purpose has been adequately fulfilled.
“I also am convinced Mr. Ford had no real knowledge of the ‘Dearborn Independent’s’ editorial policy and that he actually did not know the nature of the charges the paper made and did not know they were untrue.”
Sapiro said Ford’s retraction was a “complete surprise.”
Dismissal of the men directly responsible for the campaign of anti-Semitism retracted and apologized for by Henry Ford last week is the only move necessary to make repudiation complete, in the opinion of Nathan D. Perlman, a vice-president of the American Jewish Congress.
These men, Perlman pointed out, are E. G. Liebold, Ford’s general secretary for seventeen years, and W. J. Cameron, editor of the “Dearborn Independent”, in which the attacks appeared.
Dr. Stephen S. Wise, who is now in Paris, declined to comment on Mr. Ford’s retraction, despatches state.
“That is something I cannot discuss until I have more information and have studied the matter.” he said.
Rabbi Wise delivered the regular Sunday sermon in the American Church here upon the invitation of the pastor, the Rev. Dr. Wilson Cochran.
“This is not unusual in our country.” said Rabbi Wise, “but I believe it is the first time a Jew has spoken from a Christian pulpit in Europe.”
Hundreds of Jews added to the visitors and the regular congregation packed the church to overflowing.