Berlin (Dec. 15)
(Jewish Telegraphic Agency)
The publishing house, “Juedische Verlag” here is celebrating the twenty-fifth anniversary of its activity.
The firm was established by Dr. Mar-tin Buber, Dr. Berthold Feiwel, E. M. Lilien and David Trietsch. Dr. Chaim Wcizmann, Mr. Leo Motzkin, and Dr. Alfred Nossig were also associated in its establishment.
The Juedische Verlag was the first house to start the publication of Jewish books in modern format. It commenced its activity with the issue of the Jewish Almanach, which contained contributions by the leading Jewish poets and artists of Western and Eastern Europe. Its pamphlet, “A Jewish High School” was the first call for the establishment of the Hebrew University in Jerusalem. It then published German translations of selected essays by Achad Ha’am, translations of stories by I. L. Peretz, a collection of monographs on Joseph Israels, Max Lie-bermaun, E. M. Lilien, Lesser Ury, Jehuda Epstein, and Solomon J. Solomon, a collection of lyrics by the younger Jewish poets, the Zionist writings of Theodor Herzl and Max Nordau, the sociological writings of Dr. Arthur Ruppin, translations from Bialik, David Pinski, Sholom Asch, works by Dr. Martin Buber, David Bergelson, and others.
In 1920 it started the publication of Dr. Martin Buber’s periodical, “Der Jude.” It has also issued a German edition of the works of Mendele Mocher Sephorim, the diaries of Dr. Herzl, the diaries and letters of Joseph Trumpeldor, Bialik’s essays, a number of biographical works, and much literature for the young. At present it is preparing the ten volume work on the World History of the Jewish People, by Professor Simon Dubnov, and a four-volume Jewish lexicon, prepared by Dr. Herlitz and Dr. Kirschner with the collaboration of 230 Jewish scholars and writers. Both works will be ready by the end of 1928
Miss Ettalene M. Grice, assistant professor of Assyriology and Babylonian literature at Yale University, died at her home in New Haven last week. Miss Grlce was also assistant curator of the Babylonian collection at Yale, and a noted archaeologist. She had been associnted with Yale since receiving her Ph.D. degree there in 1917. At that time she became associated with the late Professor Albert Clay as a specinl student, research felow, lecturer and assistant in care of the Babylonian collection. From 1919 to 1925 as holder of the Kohut Followship In Assyriological research she made many contributions to that field of research.
She recently completed an Assyrto-logical dictionary to apear under the Alexander Kobut Foundation and to be printed by the Yale Press.
Miss Grloe was a graduate at the Western College for Women and began her Semitic studies at Bryn Mawr College in 1912. She was born in Portsmouth. Ohio, in 1887.