Professor David Davidson, last surviving member of the first faculty of the Hebrew Union College, celebrated his eightieth birthday today.
Born August 28, 1848, in Lautenburg, Germany, he was educated privately and at the University of Breslau. He taught in the Berlin at the Gemiade-Schule. He was instructor in Talmud and Exegesis at the Hebrew Union College. During his long career he served as rabbi of Congregation B’nai Jeshurun, Des Moines, Iowa, Shearith Israel Congregation, Cincinnati; Ahavath Chesed Congregation, New York City.
He retired from the ministry and established the Davidson Collegiate Institute. He served as the director of the Society for the Aid of Jewish Prisoners. For a number of years, he was director of the Jewish Theological Seminary of America and instructor in Rabbinics.
Among his writings are “Shall We Christianize the Constitution of the U. S. A.”; “Sabbath or Sunday?; “The Moral Issue of the World War;” “The Maccabean Triumph.” He now resides in New York City.