Pontiac, Michigan is the first town to complete its payments of United Jewish Campaign pledges, according to a report from the headquarters of the United Jewish Campaign.
In response to the recent appeal by David A. Brown, national chairman, United Jewish Campaign, to provide the treasury of the Joint Distribution Committee with the funds required during the remaining months of the year, the Pontiac Committee forwarded to the state treasurer, Bernard Ginshurg, Detroit, a check in final payment of all pledges made to the United Jewish Campaign.
The collection in full of its pledges took less than the allotted time of three years in Pontiac. The campaign in that city was launched in May 1926 and the final payment on the $3,600 pledged was not due until May 1929. Mr. Jacobson was chairman of the campaign.
The sum of $45,000 was subscribed by members of Beth El Congregation, Chelsea, Mass., toward a fund for the erection of a synagogue.
Congregation Beth El was organized in February of this year when Rabbi Irving Miller was engaged. Services have been held at the Young Men’s Hebrew Assocation. The congregation has a membership of 300 and plans to select a site for the new building within the next few weeks.
George E Cordon is president of the congregation. The cost of the new building will be $125,000.