Warsaw (Oct. 19)
(Jewish Telegraphic Agency)
A motion introduced into the Warsaw City Council, sponsored by the anti-Semitic National Democratic party, calls for changing the name of the Jerusalimskie Ajele (Jerusalem Boulevard) to Aleje Fosha (Foch Boulevard).
In urging the change on the occasion of the forthcoming celebration on November 11 of the tenth anniversary of Poland’s independence, the National Democrats argued that it is unfitting for the leading thoroughfare of Poland’s capital to bear the name Jerusalem.
The Aleje Jerusalimskie, now one of the most fashionable streets in Warsaw, owes its name to the period when Jews had no right of residence in the city. At that time Jews from the surrounding towns were permitted to enter Warsaw only for trading purposes during the day. It was on this street where they were permitted to set up their pushcarts, because it was then outside the city confines.
BLUMENTHAL GIVES $1,000,000 TO METROPOLITAN MUSEUM
The amount of $1,000,000 to be used for the purchase of works of art was given to the Metropolitan Museum of Art by Mr. and Mrs. George Blumenthat of New York City, it was announced. Mr. Blumenthal is chairman of the finance committee of the Metropolitan Museum and has made large contributions to it. as well as large gifts to charitable and educational work. The gift carries the stipulation that the interest on the $1,000,000 must be allowed to accumulate until after the death of both donors, whereupon both principal and interest must be used to buy works of art.
Mr. Blumenthal came to this country from Germany at the age of twenty-four, entering the office of Speyer & Co., in 1883. In 1893 he became a partner in Lazard Freres, retiring in 1925.
Mr. and Mrs. Blumenthal have been active for many years in the affairs of the Mt. Sinai Hospital. In 1919 they gave $150,000 for a wing as a memorial to their son. George Blumenthal, Jr. Last year they cabled from Paris a gift of $103,701 to that institution to cover a deficit. They have also given large contributions to hospitals in Paris and to the Sorbonne and other French institutions of learning. Their contributions to the Sorbonne total more than 7,000,000 francs.
Mr. Blumenthal was made an officer of the Legion of Honor in 1925 for his aid to France in stabilizing the franc.