Tel Aviv (Mar. 13)
A site for the Palestine Near-East Exhibition, to be held in Tel Aviv between April 7th and April 29th, has been selected on the Sarona Road. The grounds are being laid out in the form of a garden with fountains, a band-stand, an open air entertainment hall and a cinema. A large number of buildings are being especially constructed for exhibition purposes. Private firms are erecting pavilions for the display of their products.
The number of visitors to the exhibition this year is expected to exceed the 240,000 who attended previous exhibitions held in 1926 and 1928. Special tours of business men from Europe and neighboring countries have been organized by the steamship companies.
The commercial organization and management of the exhibition has been entrusted to the “Mishar W’Taasia” Co., Ltd., publishers of the “Palestine and Near East” and the “Mishar W’Taasia;” the general direction is in the hands of a strong and representative committee.
The Chairman of the exhibition is M. Dizengoff, Mayor of Tel Aviv; the members are: Mr. S. Hoofien, Mr. Schenkar, President of the Federation of Jewish Industries, S. Tolkovsky, Mr. Rosoff, Mr. Berlin and Mr. S. Kaplansky of the General Federation of Labor. The government of Palestine is represented on the Committee by Mr. Eliachar of the Department of Customs, Mr. Phillips of the Railways and Mr. Tischbi, Secretary for Trade and Industry.
It is understood that the High Commissioner, Sir John Chancellor, will be the patron of the Exhibition, presiding at the opening ceremony, at which Lord Melchett, Dr. Chaim Weizmann and other distinguished visitors are expected.
Simultaneous with the holding of the Fair, the city of Tel Aviv will mark the 20th anniversary of its founding with a special celebration.