Jerusalem (May. 2)
The Straus Health Center, a non-sectarian institution for medical aid and advice for the population of Jerusalem, was dedicated here today by Sir John Chancellor High Commissioner of Palestine. Miss Henrietta Szold, formerly of New York and honorary president of Hadassah, American women’s Zionist Organization, which is carrying on health work in Palestine and to which the center was given by Mr. Nathan Straus, presided at the exercises.
The Mayor of Jerusalem followed the High Commissioner in praising the generosity of the American philanthropist and his aid to the health work. Miss Szold reviewed the work of the American Jewish women’s organization in Palestine during the past ten years and declared that the Hadassah is greatly indebted to Nathan and Lina Straus. “This health center crowns their humanitarian efforts,” she declared. The cornerstone for the structure, involving an expenditure of $250,000 was laid on March 2, 1927, when Nathan Straus, then in his eightieth year, visited Palestine.
The Rev, John Haynes Holmes of the New York Community Church, who visited Palestine recently, was among the many prominent personalities from whom messages were received. Greetings were cabled to Mr. and Mrs. Straus at the close of the exercises.
The health exhibit showing the work of the Hadassah in Palestine was opened in the new building which was thrown open for the public’s inspection.