Jerusalem (Mar. 1)
With building funds provided chiefly by the Palestine Economic Corporation of New York (of which Bernard Flexner is president), a workingmen’s garden suburb is to be established on 5,000 dunams of land on the holdings of the Jewish National Fund in the Haifa Bay section, with a total of 500 homes for employees of the railways, railway repair shops, posts and telegraphs, and also for workers in the Shemen soap factory, the large flour mills, the Rutenberg electric station, etc., all situated in the vicinity.
The first 200 homes are to be ready by December 1930, by which time also the water installation, roads., etc. ,are to be complete. Each house is to have two rooms, kitchen and bath, with foundations strong enough to permit the eventual construction of a second story. The grounds attached to each home for vegetable plots, etc., will comprise 1,000 square metres. The little homes are to cost Â£150 all told, which sum will be paid off in monthly payments during fifteen years. The remaining 300 houses are to be erected in the course of 1931.