BASLE (Jul. 10)
In the first decade after the World War some $225,000,0000 in Jewish capital entered Palestine, of which about $192,000,000 was introduced by private investors and about $33,000,000 brought in through Zionist public funds, Israel Brodie, chairman of the economic committee of the Zionist Organization of America, told the Zionist Congress today in outlining the American Zionist viewpoint on the economic development of Palestine.
Of the total sum that entered the country, $25,000,000 was devoted to the construction of dwellings for immigrants, $40,000,000 was used in agricultural colonization, $20,000,000 was invested in trade and industry, hospitals, health institutions and sanitation accounted for $8,000,000 and Jewish education absorbed $7,500,000, Mr. Brodie pointed out.
He also asserted that at the close of the War the population of Jewish agricultural settlements was estimated at 12,000 and in 1929 it had increased to 38,777. In 1919 the Jewish population dependent on industry amounted to a few thousand but by 1930 Jewish industry was directly sustaining 33,000. In March, 1930 there were in Palestine 2,688 Jewish industrial enterprises employing 11,349 persons, paying about $3,1000,000 in wages annually, producing merchandise (in 1929) valued at $10,500,000 and having a total capital investment of about $17,000,000, Mr. Brodie declared.