An exhibition illustrating the development of the Yiddish and Hebrew press in America, from its beginnings in 1870 to the present day, is being arranged by the Yiddish Culture Society and is scheduled to open early in the fall. The Ladino, or Spanish-Jewish, press also will be represented.
Among the materials to be included in the exhibition are daily newspapers, weeklies, bi-weeklies, monthly magazines, quarterlies, almanacs, year books, bulletins of organizations and institutions, occasional publications, anthologies and special holiday editions.
The exhibit is expected to give a graphic picture of the growth and present status of the contributions of the East-European and Sephardic Jew to American-Jewish journalism. The Yiddish Culture Society has issued a request, through the Jewish Telegraphic Agency, for such specimens as their owners would be willing to lend, and promises to return them at the close of the exhibit. Newspapers and other materials which the lenders do not wish returned will be sent to the Yiddish Scientific Institute at Vilna, to become part of the permanent exhibit of Jewish newspapers there.