Lansing, Mich. (Oct. 13)
Of particular significance in Jewish life in Lansing and East Lansing is the Alpha Literary Society, the Jewish fraternity at Michigan State College located in the latter city. Now in its fourth year of activity at this institution, it has become an important factor in campus life there. Organization of the fraternity was motivated in 1929 by the desire of the growing number of Jewish students at Michigan State to become more closely affiliated as a group with the various activities and functions on the campus, and to create a closer fellowship among the Jewish students at that institution.
Out of a total of about 30 Jewish students at Michigan State, more than half of them are prominent in some phase of campus functions. Nearly twenty are members of the fraternity and the rest have signified their intention of joining the organization within a short time.
Officers of the fraternity for 1933 are: President, Morris W. Glass; Vice-President, Philip Schwartz; Secretary, Norman Benow, and Treasurer, George P. LaChar. The latter is also a fraternity historian. Schwartz is house manager, as well as chairman of the social committee. The membership committee consists of Norman Benow, chairman, Adolph Marcus and Philip Schwartz.
The organization has two honorary members, Alex Cohen, prominent Lansing business man, and Prof. William Haber, a member of the faculty and nationally known in the field of economics. Mr. Cohen was, in a measure, responsible for the organization of Alpha Lit, and has been very active in furthering the interests of the fraternity. The members find Prof. Haber an excellent adviser for the group.
Also included in the membership of Alpha Lit are a number of graduates of Michigan State College, most of whom are now located in other parts of the country. Most of these men are prominent in athletics or other campus or varsity functions.