Baltimore (Nov. 6)
Sixty members of the Shamre Mismeria Congregation, Lloyd and Lombard streets, refused to halt their services when fire was discovered on the roof of the synagogue, and police found it necessary to force them to abandon their prayers as a matter of precaution.
A passerby, noticing the roof ablaze, notified the worshippers, but they continued praying. In the meantime an alarm was sounded which brought firemen and police to the scene. Policemen went into the synagogue and finally forced the members to march from the building when it appeared that the blaze might get out of hand.
They marched out of the building as thin wisps of smoke began to penetrate the lower floor where the services were being conducted. After the blaze was extinguished the congregation marched back into the synagogue to continue the interrupted prayers.
An overheated furnace was held responsible for the blaze.