Prof. Albert Einstein was to be chief speaker Saturday evening at a dinner at the Waldorf Astoria Hotel celebrating the thirteenth anniversary of the American Jewish Physician’s Committee. Prof. Einstein was also the guest at the first dinner given by the committee, which was founded by Dr. Nathan Ratnoff, director of the Beth Israel Hospital, and a group of associates in 1921 while Prof. Einstein was making his first visit to this country in behalf of the Hebrew University.
Among those scheduled to address the 250 guests at the dinner were Felix M. Warburg, chairman of the Council of the American Friends of the Hebrew University; Dr. Solomon Lowenstein, vice-president of the American Friends of the Hebrew University and executive director of Federation; Dr. J. J. Golub, director of the Hospital for Joint Diseases; Dr. Bernard Sachs, president of the New York Medical Association and chairman of the Committee for Aid of Displaced German Physicians; Dr. Israel Wechsler, neurologist of Columbia University and secretary of the Physician’s Committee, and Dr. Harry Isaacs of Beth Israel Hospital, treasurer of the Physician’s Committee.
REVIEW OF WORK
Dr. Ratnoff was to give a resume of the work of the Physician’s Committee which, in addition to supporting the Department of Hygiene and Bacteriology at the University since its opening in 1925, established the first x-ray institute in Palestine, with the cooperation of the Hadassah organization in Jerusalem, and made a gift of the x-ray laboratory to the hospital of the Hupat Cholim in the Emek, which was dedicated on his visit to Palestine last summer.
The Physician’s Committee is now making plans to raise a fund of $100,000 to carry out its projects through a a nationwide campaign among physicians and interested laymen.
Plans for the Rothschild-Hadassah-University Medical Center in Jerusalem, in the creation of which the Physician’s Committee is cooperating with Hadassah, were recently announced at the Hadassah national convention in Washington. At that time, the Zionist women’s auxiliary heard the dedication ceremonies of the new center on Mt. Scopus by a special international broadcast.