Washington (May. 8)
International headquarters of B’nai B’rith will be moved to this city, it was decided at today’s session of the Order’s fourteenth quinquennial convention.
The executive committee of the Order has been instructed to establish permanent headquarters here some time before the next convention meets.
FOUNDED IN NEW YORK
B’nai B’rith was founded in New York City ninety-one years ago. National headquarters remained in that city for sixty years. In 1905 they were moved to Chicago, remaining there for twenty years. When Alfred M. Cohen was elected president for his first term in 1925, the headquarters, in accordance with the constitution, were removed to Cincinnati, Mr. Cohen’s home city.
By today’s decision, which changes the constitution, the offices will be located in Washington permanently.
TO PUSH GOOD WILL WORK
The convention voted today that the efforts made by B’nai B’rith and its Anti-Defamation League in fostering good will between religious groups be continued; that committees on unjust discrimination be set up in every important city to cope with the problem of anti-Jewish discrimination in industry; that an Anti-Defamation League office be established in Canada with a paid executive secretary, to handle all anti-Jewish defamation in the Dominion of Canada. It was decided that this office shall be assisted financially by having transmitted to it an amount equal to the sum paid by B’nai B’rith members in Canada to the emergency relief fund.
TO CONTINUE CHARITY AID
A hot debate which resulted in the Order’s determination to continue its philanthropic activities featured an evening session which lasted until midnight of yesterday’s third session of the convention here.
A motion that B’nai B’rith gradually reduce its subventions to philanthropic institutions so that such aid should be entirely with-