In an address on the congress floor, Morris Rothenberg, president of the Zionist Organization of America, yesterday urged that Jewish national interests transcend party or class interests and presented the following demands of the American General Zionist delegation:
1) Impartiality in distribution of immigration certificates for Palestine.
2) Revision of present regulations governing election of Zionist Congress delegates in the various countries.
3) Placing Palestine upbuilding work above party or class.
4) Establishment of an economic commission to coordinate private and national economic interests.
5) That the Histadruth, Palestine general federation of labor, be considered a labor federation and should include all sections of Palestine labor regardless of political, economic or religious views.
“We believe our work in Palestine must be carried on in the spirit of liberal progressive thought,” Mr. Rothenberg declared.
“There is a widespread belief,” Mr. Rothenberg continued, “that the distribution of immigration certificates is characterised by certain iniquities. Whether this belief is based on facts or on fiction, it is still essential there be a review of the methods employed in this all-important matter and that the Jewish public be given the confidence that strict impartiality prevails in accordance with rules laid down for the distribution of certificates.”