12,000 New Radio Permits Issued by Palestine
Menu JTA Search

12,000 New Radio Permits Issued by Palestine

Download PDF for this date

With sale of Radio sets spurred by inauguration of the new Palestine Broadcasting station, it is disclosed that the Government has issued 12,000 new permits to own radios.

Several Arab villages have been given public radio sets to listen to periodical lectures of agricultural subjects and addresses of public interest.

Since Palestine began importing radios about six years ago, it has been found that American makes are the most efficient. Some British, German and a few Italian-made radios are used, but until now no sets have been manufactured here.

In 1933, $100,000 worth of radios was imported. Last year, in anticipation of the new broadcasting system, more than twice as many, or $263,000 worth of sets, entered the country.

Jews and Britons are the greatest users of radios, and Arabs in urban centers use them to some extent.

Founding Funders

The digitization of the JTA Archive would not have been possible without the generous support of the following donors:
  • The Gottesman Fund
  • Righteous Persons Foundation
  • Charles H. Revson Foundation
  • Elisa Spungen Bildner and Robert Bildner, in honor of Norma Spungen
  • George S. Blumenthal
  • Grace and Scott Offen Charitable Fund