Palestine Exhausted from Three Months of Arab Disorders
Menu JTA Search

Palestine Exhausted from Three Months of Arab Disorders

Download PDF for this date

A military train was derailed today by Arabs and a Jewish bus narrowly escaped damage when a bomb hurled into it failed to explode as Arab disorders against the Government and the Jews entered their fourteenth week.

The country appeared exhausted from three months of disturbances that have taken the lives of 47 Jews and resulted in injuries to 200 more. While 15,000 British troops–the greatest garrison since the World War–was attempting to restore order with the aid of constables and special police, the population struggled to maintain its spirit. Return to normalcy appeared nowhere in sight.

Passengers in a bus from the Montefiore settlement reached Jerusalem safely after a bomb thrown into it failed to explode. Passengers said they saw an Arab fleeing from the scene of the bomb throwing.

An official communique said a military train was derailed and fired on by Arabs near Kakun. Soldiers replied to the gunfire. The evening train was the target of Arab snipers near Deir el Sheikh. A patrol beat off the attackers.

A large bomb was discovered buried in the sand near the Anglo-Palestine Bank and the police post at Tel Aviv. It was connected to a long electric wire, which was disconnected in time to prevent what might have been a great disaster.

The owner of property in Gaza where 49 bombs were discovered was arrested. Bombs exploded at Gaza, Beersheba and Tel Aviv, causing no damage. Gunpowder was discovered in a shop in Gaza. A number of arrests were made.

Four Arabs were arrested at Petach Tikvah with 760 rounds of ammunition in their possession.

Police and troops drove off a band of Arabs who launched a determined attack on the Jewish settlement of Ein Harod. Yesterday, attacks on the Ramat Kovesh and Kiryat Anavim settlements were repulsed. A Jewish watchman, Abraham Goretzky, was slightly wounded defending Kalmania from an assault.

Two Jews were reported arrested in the Neve Shanaan quarter of Jerusalem for possessing revolvers, ammunition and a bomb.

A band of armed Arabs plundered a Jewish shop in Jerusalem and attempted unsuccessfully to burn it down.

A water-pipe was dynamited today 27 kilometers from Jerusalem.

Three special policemen were disarmed by unidentified persons near Nablus.


Arabs attacked a bus near Hedera on Friday, killing Anshel Kimchi, 22, the forty-seventh Jewish victim of the disorders that started on April 19.

Police discovered a cache of forty-nine bombs in a straw heap at Gaza. Bombs exploded in Gaze, Beer Sheba, Khanyunis and on the outskirts of Tel Aviv and Acre.

Police patrols were attacked on the Hebron road, at Yagur and Haifa. They replied with machine guns. No casualties were reported. Gangs attacked a military camp at Nablus and a police post near Khan Lubban.

Several Arabs were arrested for possession of arms and ammunition. Others were seized for intimidating Arab crowds at Haifa.

About ten acres of three-year-old trees were uprooted by Arab marauders at Gan Naphthali.

A convoy was fired on near Anabta. A mill at Mudjeida was burnt to the ground after it had been bombed.

Founding Funders

The digitization of the JTA Archive would not have been possible without the generous support of the following donors:
  • The Gottesman Fund
  • Righteous Persons Foundation
  • Charles H. Revson Foundation
  • Elisa Spungen Bildner and Robert Bildner, in honor of Norma Spungen
  • George S. Blumenthal
  • Grace and Scott Offen Charitable Fund