ROME (Jul. 25)
Foreign correspondents who reported that the Italian anti-Jewish campaign was only of a theoretical nature were frankly advised by high government officials today that their optimism was baseless. “Italy is definitely embarking on an anti-Jewish policy,” an important personage told correspondents.
Meanwhile, the Italian Government politely rejected a proposal that it issue an official statement through the Jewish telegraphic agency making clear that the government had not adopted an anti-Jewish policy and did not support the anti-Semitic campaign in the press.
“It would be premature to issue any statement regarding our attitude on the Jewish question,” a high official of the Ministry of propaganda declared. He evaded replying to a question as to whether the press campaign represented the Government’s viewpoint.
The Propaganda Ministry spokesman gave assurances that the expulsion order issued against J. David Kleinlerer, correspondent of the Jewish Telegraphic Agency for the past 14 years and a polish citizen, was not aimed against the agency but was of “a purely personal nature.” He said that the J.T.A. could send a new correspondent, who, he added, must have the approval of the propaganda ministry.
The Foreign Office gave similar assurances to the United States Embassy, which was informed that Fulvio Suvich, Italian ambassador in Washington, had been instructed to deny reports that Dr. Kleinlerer was to be deported for racial reasons.