NEW YORK (Feb. 29)
The General Jewish Council today issued a statement condemning the “irresponsible action” of an organization calling itself the American League to Combat Anti-Semitism, Inc., “in presuming to prejudge the case of the 17 members of the Christian Front who have been indicted for conspiracy in the Brooklyn Federal Court.”
The League, headed by one D. Selig Margolies, had yesterday issued a publicity release to the press announcing its decision to call a mass meeting to “take action favorable” to the Frontists. The release, which was ignored for the most part by the press, also said the League had sent a telegram to Charles E. Coughlin stating that “we are 100 per cent for acquittal” of the Frontists and asking the radio priest’s “valued cooperation” by assigning a speaker to the meeting.
The Council, declaring it expressed no opinion regarding the “guilt or innocence” of the Frontists, “except its conviction that they have a right to a fair and impartial trial, with the protection of all our traditional legal safe-guards,” said:
“The Council believes, however, that after the men have been indicted by a grand jury and while they are awaiting trial, no private individual or group should attempt to prejudge their case, or to influence its outcome. It is particularly regrettable that an attempt to do so should be made by an individual who purports to act as a Jewish organization–for the League is essentially a single individual, D. Selig Margolies. Such action is open to serious misunderstanding.
“As a result of numerous inquiries, the General Jewish Council has investigated the American League to Combat Anti-Semitism. The Council had already reached the conclusion that the League is essentially an irresponsible agency, — a conclusion which is amply confirmed by its most recent action. The Council deems it necessary to issue this statement in order to prevent the creation of any misconception that Mr. Margolies speaks for any substantial group of Jewish people.”