NEW YORK (Feb. 15)
Marking the thirtieth anniversary of its founding, the Hadassah today opened a three-day session of its national board with a plea from Mrs. David de Sola Pool, its president, for intensified health work in Palestine.
The sixty Hadassah leaders from all parts of the country who are attending the session were told that the present 80,000 senior membership of the organization must be increased to 100,000 by March 3, the day on which the nation-wide celebration of the Hadassah will culminate. Hadassah was founded in New York during Purim in 1912 by Miss Henrietta Szold.
A cable from Miss Szold and other members of Hadassah’s War Emergency Committee in Palestine read at today’s session stated that Hadassah’s medical center on Mt. Scopus in Jerusalem, the Rothschild-Hadassah-University Hospital and Medical School, is now offering clinical conferences to Australian, New Zealand, British and other allied medical men stationed with the armies there as part of its war program. In cooperation with the Hebrew University with which the center is affiliated, courses in the control of malaria, leprosy, bubonic plague and other epidemic diseases indigenous to semi-tropical climates are also being given.
Between October 1, 1941 and January 31, 1942 Hadassah raised a total of $378,000 for its regular and war emergency projects abroad, Mrs. Samuel J. Rosensohn, national treasurer, reported. During the period September 1939 to November 1941, Hadassah sent $1,644,839 to Palestine for war emergency, hospitalization, public health, child welfare, refugee and land reclamation work.