CLEVELAND (Oct. 13)
The board of directors of the Council of Jewish Federations and Welfare Funds marked the tenth anniversary of the existence of the Council by holding its meeting here, where the Council was established in 1932 by representatives of 15 Jewish federations.
Sidney Hollander, president of the Council, and William J. Shreder, chairman of the Board, presented reports on recent war chest developments, progress on the Council’s efforts for a unified civic-protective program and prospects for the reconstitution of the United Jewish Appeal in 1943.
A total of $22,249,189 was expended in 1941 by 40 national and 23 overseas organizations for aid to distressed Jewry overseas and in Palestine, health and welfare programs, civic protective activities, immigration services and health and educational programs, according to a council survey.
The bulk of the funds was spent by overseas and Palestine agencies which expended a total of $17,650,424, of which about $7,000,000 was spent in Palestine, $6,000,000 in other countries abroad and $4,000,000 for immigration services both abroad and in the United States.
Of the $4,598,765 spent in this country by the national agencies, $1,637,810 was used for civic protective activities and $1,333,584 for health and welfare requirements.