WASHINGTON (Jul. 13)
A Liberty ship now under construction at the Bethlehem-Fairfield Shipyard in Baltimore has been named after Benjamin Franklin Peixotto, president of the B’nai B’rith from 1863 to 1866 and U. S. Consul-General to Rumania from 1870 to 1876, it was reported here today. The name of Peixotto was assigned to this ship as a result of a Third War Loan bond campaign by Menorah Lodge of B’nai B’rith in Baltimore, which sold over $8,000,000 worth of bonds.
Born in New York, Peixotto came to Cleveland in 1836 as a child, when his father, Dr. Daniel Levy Maduro Peixotto, was named president of the Willoughby Medical College. He later studied law in the office of Stephen A. Douglas and became a political associate of Douglas. He was political editor of the Cleveland Plain Dealer in the late 1850s and supported Douglas for President, and was only 29 when he was elected president of B’nai B’rith in 1863.