New York (Mar. 27)
A Jewish community center, valued at $250,000 and built in 1929 to serve the needs of Jewish residents, was today presented by the Council of Jewish Women to Negro residents who now surround the center. The event took place at an inter – racial dinner at the Commodore Hotel at which Mrs. Franklin D. Roosevelt was the principal speaker.
Dr. Channing Tobias, senior secretary of the National Young Men’s Christian Association, accepted the gift on behalf of the Negro residents. The Center includes a gymnasium, basketball courts, meeting halls, music and art rooms and a nursery school for children of working mothers. All its activities will be continued.