Montreal (Aug. 13)
The Canadian Jewish Congress today cabled to Leslie Pearson, Canadian representative at the UNRRA, asking him to support the demands of Jewish organizations for increased UNRRA and to surviving Jews in Europe.
The cable recalled Mr. Pearson’s cooperation with the representatives of the Canadian Jewish Congress at the Montreal sessions of the UNRRA Council last year, and requested his aid in securing the following:
1. That the UNRRA should provide the inmates of various camps in Germany with necessities of life.
2. That the UNRRA immediately begins relief for Jews in enemy and former enemy countries directly or through voluntary relief agencies.
3. That the UNRRA distributes supplies to Jews of foreign nationalities now in France, Belgium and Holland, directly or through the International Red Cross.
4. That the UNRRA takes care of displaced persons who cannot or do not wish to be repatriated against their will.
5. That the UNRRA cooperate with the Intergovernmental Committee for Refugees in finding new homes for the displaced Jews.
6. That the UNRRA enlist the cooperation of the Palestine mandatory power to facilitate the resettlement in Palestine of displaced Jewish persons.
The Canadian Jewish Congress points out in its cable that it associates itself with the joint memorandum submitted last week to the UNRRA by the Board of Deputies of British Jews, the American Jewish Conference and the World Jewish Congress.