Jerusalem (Dec. 12)
The Jewish Agency today appealed to American Zionists to organize a movement for large scale emigration of Jews from the United States to Palestine “in order to fill the gap caused by the destruction of European (##)ry.”
The appeal was made in behalf of the Agency by David Ben-Gurion, chairman of its executive, at a session of the Small Zionist Actions Committee, following a farewell address delivered by Dr. Abba Hillel Silver on the eve of his return to the United States.
The Actions Committee today was almost evenly split on whether or not representatives of the Jewish Agency should appear before the Anglo-American inquiry commission on Palestine. Those favoring participation expressed the hope that if the Jewish claims are presented to the commission positive results might be achieved. Those opposing argued that even if the commission adopts recommendations favorable to the Jews, these recommendations will not be carried out by the British Government which was already set its policy.
PROGRAM FOR POLITICAL ACTION PRESENTED TO SUPREME ZIONIST BODY
Reporting on the ten-day extraordinary meeting of the Jewish Agency executive, Ben-Gurion said that the executive is not despairing, despite the difficulties which the Jewish claims on Palestine are now encountering. He recommended the following program of action:
1. Jews should increase the fight against the White Paper both in Palestine and in all countries abroad.
2. The entire executive of the Jewish Agency should remain in office, and should have responsibility as a collective body until the next World Zionist Congress.
3. Zionist political activities should be increased in London and in Washington, and a special office should be established under Dr. Nahum Goldmann in the city where the United Nations Organization will make its headquarters.
4. The Jewish Agency should strengthen its cooperation with the American Zionist Emergency Council and the Zionist Organization of America, and should empower the newly-elected American members of the executive to act for the Agency ” on certain occasions.”
5. Zionist activities should be increased among the surviving Jews in Europe Special envoys should be sent to them. Yiddish publications should be issued for distribution among them and everything should be dons to prepare them for emigration to Palestine.
6. Special consideration should be given to the needs of the Jews in Oriental countries and Zionist activities should be intensified in the American and British dovinions.
7. Zionist organizations throughout the world should explore the possibility of a referendum among Jews throughout the world on the question of Zionist aims.
8. The World Zionist Congress should be convoked within the next summer, with Palestine being favored as the site of the meeting.
The Arab Higher Committee of Palestine last night adopted a resolution declaring that there is no necessity for any inquiries by the anglo-American inquiry commission on Palestine, However, the resolution does not speak of boycotting the commission. Meanwhile, the Palestine Government announced that it is making all arragements necessary for the arrival of the commission in Palestine and has appointed lobert Scott as special liaison officer to help the members of the inquiry body during their stay in the country.