Jerusalem (Dec. 16)
The Palestine censorship, which up to now has restricted itself to prohibiting publication of news inside Palestine which, in its opinion, might “incite one part of the population against the other,” has extended the scope of its activities.
As part of a policy of preventing publication of any news from abroad which reflects unfavorably upon British policy in any part of the world, the censorship has recently killed two JTA stories. Last week it banned a dispatch from Paris reporting on the mistreatment by British military police of Jews at the Belsen camp who were protesting the Bevin statement on Palestine, and today it stopped publication in the local Jewish press of a dispatch from Washington reporting Congressman Emanuol Celler’s attack on the treatment of displaced Jews in the British zone in Germany.
Neanwhile, Arab extremist leader Auni Bey Abdul Hadi told the press today that the boycott of Jewish-made goods from Palestine, which starts on January 1, is simed at destroying Jewish economic capacity in Palestine and making further Jewish immigration impracticable.
In reply, a spokesman for the Jewish Agency, while admitting the seriousness of the threat, said that the Jews were confident that they could overcome any difficulties resulting from the boycott. It is reported that the Agency will ask the protection of the Palestine Government, on the basis that the boycott will harm Palestinian citizens.