Bremen (Oct. 14)
All Jewish property claims in this area have been placed under the temporary custodianship of Carl Katz, president of the Jewish Community Council of Bremen, by AMG property control officers for Bremen and Wesemunda, it was announced here today.
In addition to the property of Jews who remained in Bremen, Katz will also administer the belongings of Bremen Jews who fled before 1939 and whose property was confiscated by the Nazis and sold at auction.
Only 100 Jews remain of the community that numbered some 2,000 back in 1933. A building on the Weser River has been requisitioned by AMG to house a synagogue, community offices and offices of the American chaplain, the JDC and HIAS.
A solemn rededication of the synagogue at the DP camp of Diepholz, which was restored and redecorated by German authorities on the initiative of a Jewish staff sergeant, was attended by the commanding officer of the camp, representatives of the Allies and of UNRRA, and German civil authorities.