Curfew Lifted in Jaffa-tel Aviv Border Area; One Jew Killed, Five Wounded
Menu JTA Search

Curfew Lifted in Jaffa-tel Aviv Border Area; One Jew Killed, Five Wounded

Download PDF for this date

The dusk-to-dawn curfew in the Jaffa-Tel Aviv border area was lifted tonight. It had been in force since the middle of last week, during the height of the Arab-Jewish clashes which cost more than 30 persons their lives.

Despite the fact that the day was “quiet,” one Jew was killed, two were wounded seriously and three others were injured slightly. Moshe Horovitzky, 17, was killed when shots were fired from a speeding military vehicle at a bus on the road from Drom Yehuda to Givat Brenner. A second Jewish passenger was seriously wounded. The military vehicle escaped in the direction of Rishon Le Zion, near which it later opened fire on a second Jewish bus, wounding another Jew. It was not apprehended.

A group of soldiers riding in an ambulance on the road between Gaza and Beersheba, in southern Palestine, found an unconscious Jewish agricultural worker on the road. He was suffering from severe knife wounds. A gang of Arabs this morning attacked a Jew on a road near Herzlia and left him seriously injured.

Members of the local council of the Arab village of Salameh, adjoining the Yemenite Jewish Hatkivah quarter of Tel Aviv, called on the Jewish officials of Hatikvah and thanked them for the fact that Jewish policemen in that area had protected Arab lives and property.


Later in the day, the heads of both communities reached a peace agreement which was commemorated by a ceremony burying a dagger. Officials of the two quarters gathered in an open field and slaughtered a lamb in the traditional Arab manner, after which all partook of the sacrifice. Present at the ceremony were the parents of Ahron Hanowitze, an American veteran who was killed by an Arab mob near the Hatikvah quarter last week. Speakers representing both people condemned the outbreaks which marred peaceful relationships of many years duration.

Intensive negotiations are taking place between the Jewish National Council and representatives of local Jewish councils, on one hand, and the government, on the other, to secure the release of the three Jewish mayors detained two weeks ago in the mass round-up of Jewish leaders. The government insists that the main obstacle to the release is the refusal of Tel Aviv’s mayor, Israel Rokach, to answer any questions put to him by British intelligence officers.

At one time, it is understood, the government offered him a compromise–he would be released and later questioned in some “neutral” government office. But Rokach turned the offer down, insisting that all Jews detained in the operation be released with him before he answered questions. Chief Rabbi Isaac Herzog has offered his good offices in an attempt to reach a compromise, but thus far has been unsuccessful.

The Jewish National Council is considering a proposal to raise a security fund of some $2,000,000 to provide for the defense of outlying Jewish communities and to increase the strength of the Jewish settlement police against possible Arab attacks.

Founding Funders

The digitization of the JTA Archive would not have been possible without the generous support of the following donors:
  • The Gottesman Fund
  • Righteous Persons Foundation
  • Charles H. Revson Foundation
  • Elisa Spungen Bildner and Robert Bildner, in honor of Norma Spungen
  • George S. Blumenthal
  • Grace and Scott Offen Charitable Fund