TEL AVIV (Jul. 9)
The future functions of the World Zionist Organization were outlined today at a meeting of the Jewish Agency executive convened to consider the forthcoming meeting of the Zionist Actions Committee which will be held here on July 18.
It was announced that arrangements will be made to liquidate the Jewish Agency and transfer its duties to the World Zionist Organization. Eight main functions which the .W.Z.0. will be asked to take over are:
1. Immigration, including the organization abroad and distribution of immigration certificates under the Israeli Government’s quota; preparatory agricultural training and the transportation of immigrants to Israel. The question of whether the Israeli Government or the World Zionist Organization should be responsible for the immigrants after their arrival in the Jewish state was left open and will be decided by the Actions Committee session.
2. Assistance from abroad for Israel’s economic development, including the development of a program to enlist the support of Jews the world over to purchase shares in Israeli enterprises and a public relations program to aid in this project.
3. Resettlement of new immigrants in rural areas.
4. Immigration of refugee children to Israel.
5. Educational and cultural programs in the Diaspora.
6. Development of the youth pioneering movement abroad.
7. Development of Jerusalem.
8. Handling the work of the Israeli national funds.
It was also decided at the meeting that seven or eight members of the World Zionist Organization’s executive must reside in Jerusalem. Some of these may have to move from their homes overseas. Eliahu Dobkin presided at the meeting.