Israeli National Elections to Be Held in Middle of January, Official Announces
Menu JTA Search

Israeli National Elections to Be Held in Middle of January, Official Announces

Download PDF for this date

The first national election in Israel will be held between Jan, 10 and 15, according to present plans of the government as outlined today by Nahum Rafalkes-Mir, vice-chairman of the State Council. The State Council decided that the chairman of the election supervisory committee will be a High Court judge who will be elected by his colleagues.

An official Israeli spokesman today denied a report published in a new Labor Party daily newspaper to the effect that “two Arab states are negotiating with Israel for peace.” The two-day-old afternoon publication, Hador, quotes an alleged interview granted yesterday by Premier David Ben Gurion to correspondents of two New York newspapers. The Israeli spokesman’s comment on the story was: “Ben Gurion never said that.”

Leaders of the Mizrachi, Hapool Mizrachi, Agudath Israel, Poals Agudath Israel and the independent Religious Union decided at a joint meeting today to form a united Orthodox bloc at the forthcoming general elections to the Constituent Assembly. The two Mizrachi groups will represent 60 percent of the bloc while the Agudah organizations will make up the remaining 40 percent.

Executive committee of all five of the Orthodox groups participating in the meeting must confirm the agreement. The present estimates are that the Orthodox bloc could poll between 20 and 25 percent of the total popular vote.

Members of the Stern Group plastered Tel Aviv walls last night with posters demanding the immediate release of all Sternists. “We will not tolerate their continued detention,” the posters read. Members of the Stern Group have been under detention without trial since they were rounded up by Israeli police and soldiers soon after Count Bernadotte was assassinated.


The bombing today in Cairo of the Jewish-owned building housing the “Egyptian Gazette,” in which six persons were reported killed and 70 injured, will be brought by the Israeli Government to the attention of the United Nations as “an instance of the persecution of Jews in an Arab state,” an official spokesman announced.

“It is immaterial whether such persecution takes the form of official action of an Arab Government or of acts of Violence,” the spokesman declared. “The Israeli authorities take full note of such action and will bring it up when it meets with the Arabs to consider mutual questions.”

Frits Bernstein, Minister for Trade and Industry, visiting Haifa yesterday, announced that the government does not intend to nationalize the refineries in the port city. He expressed the hope that the plants would re-open soon.

Petach Tikvah, known throughout Israel as the “Mother of Jewish Settlements,” today celebrated the 70th anniversary of its establishment. Premier David Ben Gurion was among the many distinguished guests participating in the ceremonies.

A foundation stone was laid today for the erection of an orphan home at Petacl Tikvah which will bear the name of Rabbi Eliezer Silver, of Cincinnati, Orthodox leader in the United States. One hundred children will reside in the home, which will be built at a cost of $100,000.

Founding Funders

The digitization of the JTA Archive would not have been possible without the generous support of the following donors:
  • The Gottesman Fund
  • Righteous Persons Foundation
  • Charles H. Revson Foundation
  • Elisa Spungen Bildner and Robert Bildner, in honor of Norma Spungen
  • George S. Blumenthal
  • Grace and Scott Offen Charitable Fund