Histadrut Parley Hears Demand for Conscripted Labor for Israeli Agriculture
Menu JTA Search

Histadrut Parley Hears Demand for Conscripted Labor for Israeli Agriculture

Download PDF for this date

A demand that the government institute a policy of national compulsory service in agricultural projects was voiced here last night at the seventh Histadrut conference by Pinchas Lubianiker, Mapai leader.

Mr. Lubianiker suggested one year’s service for present Israeli residents and two years for immigrants in specific age groups. He also called for a diversion of the immigrant masses from cities and towns to agricultural settlements. The absorption of hundreds of thousands of immigrants annually demands sacrifices including change in living habits, he added.

The Mapai leader demanded that capital be diverted to constructive projects. He also asked for a higher output on the part of labor in order to lower the cost of living and “prevent economic disaster.” Referring to the Histadrut’s policy on private capital, Mr. Lubianiker asserted that the labor federation has always maintained the principle that combined private and cooperative capital be invested in the country.

Among the chief points on the agenda adopted last nigh were: The policy of the organization on the freezing of wages; increasing the output of labor; increasing production; the problems of absorbing immigrants; and, the relations of the Histadrut to international trade union organizations. A Mapam motion to place the question of the dissolution of the Palmach on the agenda was defeated.


Israel itself bore 70 percent of the costs of the Palestine war, with only the remaining 30 percent contributed by sources abroad, while 50 percent of

The Minister said that the “austerity” program recently approved by Parliament did not entirely solve the economic and financial problems facing the nation, particularly the problem of the adverse trade balance, Israel’s Income, he said, must reach 50 million pounds ($150,000,000) annually, and he hinted at heavier tax legislation. He emphasized that Israel welcomes the influx of private capital to assist in the development of the country.

Herbert Fromkin, chief of the economic department of the Histadrut, said that preparations had been completed for the establishment of 42,000 housing units for 130,000 new immigrants. He told the conference that 22,000 of the units will be prefabricated and will be built by various international organizations with which the government was completing arrangements.

He explained that of the total 16,000 units will be built by Amidar, the national housing corporation and 2,000 will be prefabricated dwellings set up by the Jewish Agency. The remaining 4,000 will be erected by the government in various abandoned Arab villages and towns. Altogether, he stated, the project will cost $18,000,000, The project will begin shortly, making possible complete evacuation of the immigrant camps and the resumption of large-scale immigration.

Founding Funders

The digitization of the JTA Archive would not have been possible without the generous support of the following donors:
  • The Gottesman Fund
  • Righteous Persons Foundation
  • Charles H. Revson Foundation
  • Elisa Spungen Bildner and Robert Bildner, in honor of Norma Spungen
  • George S. Blumenthal
  • Grace and Scott Offen Charitable Fund