Observe 150th Anniversary of Lutheran Church Built on Land Donated by Jew

The 150th anniversary of the founding of Salem Lutheran Church, built on land given by Aaron Levy, a Jew, after whom this predominantly Protestant town is named, was observed here today in a day-long program sponsored by the National Conference of Christians and Jews. Speakers at a meeting marking the observances included United States Supreme Court Justice Felix Frankfurter and Dr. Ralph J. Bunche.

Levy, who came to America from Amsterdam in 1760, founded Aaronsburg in 1786. While there is only one Jewish family here now, many of its place names are reminders of its founder, one “Rachel’s Way,” bearing the name of his wife.

NEXT STORY