NEW YORK (Jun. 17)
The first class of cantors ever to be trained in a school on American soil for service in Jewish religious congregations was graduated from the Hebrew Union school of Sacred Music today. Dr. Nelson Glueck, president of the Hebrew Union College-Jewish Institute of Religion, of which the School of Period Music is a part, gave the charge and invested as cantor-educators the 10 men who have been trained to serve as the singers of the synagogue and as religious school administrators.
The School of Sacred Music, the only school for cantors in the world, was established in 1948 to fill the gap after the European centers of Jewish sacred music were destroyed by the Nazis. Although it was founded by the rabbinical school of Reform and Liberal Judaism, it trains its men for service in Orthodox and Conservative as well as Reform congregations.