Menu JTA Search

Philadelphia Community Reorganizes Its Allied Jewish Appeal

A plan to modernize the structure of the Allied Jewish Appeal in order to render greater service to the community beyond the fund-raising duty alone, was adopted here last night at the annual meeting of the A.J.A., which was attended by more than 400 leaders, comprising a cross-section representative of all interests and ideologies within the Jewish community of Philadelphia.

The new plan of reorganization provides for the establishment of two important administrative units in an Allied Campaign Council and an Allied Service Council. Both councils, with their own officers and members, will include representation of beneficiary agencies and will sharpen the distinction between Allied’s fund-raising activities and its comprehensive planning and co-ordination services in the areas which it finances.

Subject to the general authority of the board of directors, the Allied Campaign Council will be responsible for the management and conduct of the fund-raising activities, selection of officers of the annual campaigns, establishment of year-round campaign units and all other matters of a fund-raising nature. The Allied Service Council will plan and co-ordinate activities in functional fields with which the Allied Jewish Appeal is concerned and will serve as the liaison with the national and local beneficiary agencies in their respective fields of displaced person, immigration, community relations, Jewish education, youth and armed forces services and other specialized services.

Samuel H. Daroff, general chairman of the combined campaign of the 1951 Allied Jewish Appeal and the medical center building fund of the Federation of Jewish Charities, reported that this year’s total exceeded the amount raised in the 1950 campaign. He reported that to date almost 90,000 individuals and business firms have given to the 1951 campaign a total of $5,388,000 with over $200,000 in outstanding pledge cards still to be covered this year. The meeting elected Sol Satin-sky president of the Allied Jewish Appeal and Bernard G. Segal chairman of the board.

An analysis of the 1950 campaign allocations to 46 beneficiary overseas, national and local agencies and a financial statement of assets and liabilities as of June 30, 1951, was presented to the meeting by Robert M. Bernstein, treasurer. He reported that all of the 1950 allocations have been paid in full, with cash balance, total assets and collections indicating that the financial condition of Allied Jewish Appeal has improved considerably.

NEXT STORY