NEW YORK (Oct. 14)
The centennial celebration of the Harmonie Club, oldest Jewish social club in the United States, was marked here today by the opening of an 1852 living room, reflecting authentically the atmosphere of the club’s birth on October 16, 1952. The room was re-created with the help of the Museum of the City of New York.
The Harmonie Club is second in age to the Union Club here which was founded in 1836. A special anniversary volume of the Harmonie Club’s archives records that its first quarters were two rooms rented at 426 Broome Street, on New York’s Lower East Side, for $32 a month and opened to 40 members. Its present home, on Fifth Avenue and 60th Street, was built at a cost of $875,000 and was opened in 1905. Its current membership is 697.