STUTTGART (Jun. 23)
A new U.S. Army chapel, built by soldiers of the garrison in the nearby city of Heilbronn, contains a historic stone from the former Stuttgart synagogue that was burnt to the ground by Nazi vandals in the pogroms of November, 1938. Lt. Col. Ralph H. Blumenthal, a rabbi who serves U.S. personnel of all faiths in this area as District Chaplain, took part in the dedication ceremonies.
The place of worship, which was remodeled from a German artillery stable by the volunteer labor of Americans and Germans, will be used by American troops for Jewish as well as for Christian services. It has been named the Chapel of Three Stones because relics from a bombed-out Protestant Church and from a war-scarred Catholic Church have also been incorporated into the building, whose keynote symbol is unity.