JERUSALEM (Oct. 15)
Israeli representatives on the Mixed Armistice Commission were today informed by United Nations truce observers that the Jordanians had complained that an Israeli force last night invaded Jordan territory in the Judean Hills and the Naballah area and attacked several villages. An emergency meeting of the MAC was called for late today.
(In Washington, the State Department made known today that it is studying reports that Israel carried out a military reprisal raid against the Jordan frontier area and killed 31 Jordanians. Department sources revealed that the Department is “concerned” over the alleged military action by the Israel Army.)
One of the Jordan villages identified as under attack was Kivya, to which Arab marauders who murdered an Israeli mother and two infants this week had been tracked. Inhabitants of Jewish villages near the Jordan border in this area reported hearing loud explosions from Jordan territory over the period of several hours.
Meanwhile, Radio Ramallah, heard here, said that Israeli armed forces had penetrated Jordan and had attacked a village near Naballah. The attackers blew up 40 houses and left a large number of casualties, the announcer said. The broadcast said that 31 were known dead and 40 wounded in the Arab village and more people were believed trapped in the debris.