JERUSALEM (Jul. 21)
Maj. Gen. Vagn Bennike, United Nations truce chief in Palestine, plans to initiate “intensive talks” with Israel and Jordan aimed at reducing tensions and preventing the recurrence of further incidents, the UN press officer told a news conference today.
The officer noted that Gen, Bennike had informed both parties that the UN’s efforts would be directed primarily at solving problems and reducing tension rather than at condemning either side. He reiterated Gen. Bennike’s pleas for greater cooperation of both sides with the Mixed Armistice Commission to prevent further violence.
The press officer professed complete ignorance of Israel’s charges–made to the UN and publicized throughout the world–that Jordan had permitted the desecration of the ancient Jewish cemetery on the Mount of Olives, which is now in Jordan possession. He was “surprised” to hear of such accusations, he said, adding that he had never seen the charges nor the Israeli photographs of damage to the cemetery which had been sent the UN.
Meanwhile, in Tel Aviv an Israel military spokesman announced that one Israel soldier had been wounded seriously when Jordanians had fired across the border at an Israel patrol in the Beit Neballa area.