NEW YORK (Jul. 16)
American rabbis visiting Leningrad were permitted to examine the priceless collection of old Jewish manuscripts at the Saltykov-Shedrin Library, the former Public Library of Leningrad, it was reported here today from Moscow. The rabbis were told by Soviet officials that photocopies of the manuscripts would be made available to foreign scholars.
The collection is part of the famous collection of Hebrew and Yiddish books of the late Baron David Guinzburg, noted Jewish philanthropist and Orientalist, whose library was nationalized after the Bolshvik Revolution. It includes a Hebrew Bible printed in the year 1010 and a leather bound volume of parchment letters written in the 10th century by Prince Joseph of the Khazars, describing his conversion to Judaism.