UNITED NATIONS, N.Y. (Aug. 23)
In spite of the flare-ups of armed conflict along the Israel-Arab borders during the last week, Secretary-General Dag Hammarksjold insisted today that the cease-fire he had arranged last April still is in force. “All the governments” concerned, he said, still “wish to pay to the cease-fire not only lip service; they still regard it as a real obligation.”
“In April,” Mr. Hammarksjold said, “the cease-fire had been put into jeopardy. I considered it essential to lift the cease-fire out of the armistice framework and give it legal status by itself. No lack of observance can undo the fact that the governments had now undertaken an obligation to the United Nations in regard to the cease-fire.