Israel Rejects U.S. Views on Sinai Developments; Informs Washington

The Israel Government today forwarded a note Washington outlining to the State Department Israel’s negative views on a number of American ideas presented to Premier David Ben Gurion several days ago by U.S. Ambassador Edward B. Lawson.

It is assumed that the American views were on problems arising out of the Sinai action. At the same time, it is understood that contrary to widespread assumptions Ambassador Lawson discussed President Eisenhower’s new Middle East policy, this was not the case.

From Washington it was reported today that details and clarification of the new Eisenhower Middle East policy will be given by the State Department to Israel Ambassador Abba Eban tomorrow afternoon.)

State Department source is indicated today that the government may soon return 185 Point Four technicians to the Middle East. These experts were ordered out of Israel, Egypt, and Jordan two months ago when warfare erupted. Technicians who may be returned to the area soon include 55 assigned in Israel, 75 in Egypt, and 55 in Jordan.

While an early return of the technicians is expected there is no sign here of resumption of aid, U.S. officials said. It was pointed out that a resumption of U.S. aid would be facilitated by a greater return of “tranquillity” to the region. This, it was said, could be brought about by withdrawal of Israel forces from Egyptian territory and cooperation by Egypt with moves to clear the Suez Canal.

In Jerusalem, headquarters of the United Nations Technical Assistance Administration announced today that permission had been granted for the return of the families of UNTAA personnel who had been evacuated last October 30 when Israel launched its Sinai action. It is expected that the return of the families of UN personnel would be followed by similar moves on the part of families of American diplomatic and consular personnel

NEXT STORY