LONDON (Oct. 13)
The first service since World War II in the Dubrovnik synagogue in Yugoslavia, one of the oldest in Europe, was held on Yom Kippur eve, it was reported here today. The Dubrovnik synagogue on Zudioska Ulica (Jew Street) dates back to the 14th Century and the Jewish community dates back to 1352.
The 200 Jews of pre-war Dubrovnik had dwindled to less than a dozen, including only four men. But the Yom Kippur service was made possible by the presence in the city of Jewish delegates and observers attending the second conference of European National Commissions for UNESCO. One of those participating was L. Appid, secretary of the Israel Legation in Belgrade. Dr. G. M. Riegner of the World Jewish Congress and chairman of UNESCO’s Non-Governmental Organizations also attended the services.