Israel to Bring 15,000 Jews from Iran in “magic Carpet” Operation
Menu JTA Search

Israel to Bring 15,000 Jews from Iran in “magic Carpet” Operation

Download PDF for this date

A new “Magic Carpet” operation, similar to the one by which virtually the entire community of Yemenite Jews was brought to Israel a few years ago, is being planned for an airlift this year of 15,000 Iranian Jews to Yahuda Braginsky, head of the Jewish Agency absorption department, disclosed today.

The official, in a press interview, reported also that 1,200 immigrants were expected each month from East European countries starting in March and that a total of 40,000 immigrants was expected this year. This figure was about one-third higher than the 30,000 reportedly taken as a minimum in discussions between the Jewish Agency and the Israel Government on absorption and employment problems.

The Agency official also reported that from 10 to 15 percent of all immigrants who have come from East Europe joined kibbutzim and that after a six-month trial, about 20 percent leave the kibbutz while the other 80 percent stay on to become regular members.

Founding Funders

The digitization of the JTA Archive would not have been possible without the generous support of the following donors:
  • The Gottesman Fund
  • Righteous Persons Foundation
  • Charles H. Revson Foundation
  • Elisa Spungen Bildner and Robert Bildner, in honor of Norma Spungen
  • George S. Blumenthal
  • Grace and Scott Offen Charitable Fund