NEW YORK (Dec. 15)
Leaders of the Reform branch of Judaism today announced the establishment of a new philanthropic group known as “Builders of American Judaism” whose purpose it will be to mobilize gifts of $25,000 and better for the advancement and strengthening of Jewish religious life and institutions.
The new group is under the sponsorship of the Development Fund for American Judaism, the capital fund-raising arm of the Union of American Hebrew Congregations and the Hebrew Union College-Jewish Institute of Religion. The Development Fund is seeking $15,000,000 in behalf of these institutions for the expansion and improvement of facilities in New York, Cincinnati, Chicago, Miami, Los Angeles, and other parts of the United States.
Senator Herbert H. Lehman, in making the announcement, noted that the Builders of American Judaism are starting with a nucleus of 30 men and women whose gifts range from $25,000 to $250,000 each for an aggregate of over $2,000,000. This is exclusive of another $2,550,000 that has come in from other sources since the Development Fund’s inception in November, 1959.
Charter membership and specially inscribed bronze plaques were presented by Sen, Lehman to three New York philanthropists for their contributions to the Development Fund of $250,000 each. The three who were cited are Max L. Koppel, the Fund’s general chairman; David W. Klau, and Jack A. Goldfarb, national chairmen of the Fund.