Torah Scrolls from Arab-held Part of Jerusalem Brought to Israel
Menu JTA Search

Torah Scrolls from Arab-held Part of Jerusalem Brought to Israel

Download PDF for this date

A number of Torah scrolls which were brought here by a tourist from the Jordanian-held Old City of Jerusalem were deposited today in Beit Eidut (House of Testimony) on Mount Zion at ceremonies marking the 13th anniversary of the capture by the Arab Legion of the Old City.

The tourist, whose name was not disclosed, was on a tour of the Old City. He visited there an Arab resident who had hidden the scrolls for several rabbis before the Jewish quarter of the city fell to the Arab Legion during the 1948 War of Liberation. The tourist succeeded in securing the scrolls and, packing them in a suitcase, brought them to Israel via Cyprus.

Founding Funders

The digitization of the JTA Archive would not have been possible without the generous support of the following donors:
  • The Gottesman Fund
  • Righteous Persons Foundation
  • Charles H. Revson Foundation
  • Elisa Spungen Bildner and Robert Bildner, in honor of Norma Spungen
  • George S. Blumenthal
  • Grace and Scott Offen Charitable Fund