BOSTON (May. 25)
Greater Boston Jewry soared past the one hundred million mark in unified fund-raising over the past 20 years as a result of the 1961 appeal of the Combined Jewish Philanthropies which closed its campaign tonight with $5,227,150.
In announcing the results to more than 400 leaders at the closing dinner, general chair man George Shapiro declared this was the 12th time, since 1946, that the campaign produced more than $5,000,000 for local, national, overseas and Israel. Louis P. Smith, president of the Combined Jewish Philanthropies, told the vast gathering that the success of the Appeal was “a tribute to its leadership and to the maturity of the greater Boston people who once again demonstrated their sense of responsibility to meet ongoing needs of Jewry everywhere.”
A highlight of the victory fete was president Smith’s announcement that David Kane, advance gifts chairman of the 1961 Appeal, a trustee of Beth Israel Hospital and a prominent supermarket executive, has been selected as general chairman for the 1962 campaign. Mr. Kane returned from Israel two days before the closing dinner.