JERUSALEM (Oct. 19)
Transport Minister Yitzhak Ben-Aharon today denied Israeli press reports that construction of the port at Ashdod was running into difficulties. He said that the port would be finished on schedule. He made it clear that there was no crisis in either the planning or the construction of the port and that there was no doubt about the ability of the contractors to meet the terms of the contract.
The Minister said that construction was two months behind schedule because of a delay in the supply of rocks and that only 28 meters of breakwater had been completed to date instead of the scheduled 130 meters. He pointed out that the job had been planned to take three years and involved an investment of 50,000,000 pounds ($28,000,000) and added that in the light of these facts, the delays were insignificant.