Leipzig Jews Reopen the Only Synagogue in the East German City
Menu JTA Search

Leipzig Jews Reopen the Only Synagogue in the East German City

Download PDF for this date

The only synagogue in Leipzig, East Germany, was consecrated today after the completion of the redecoration of the interior of the building which was used as a storeroom during the Nazi regime. There are some 300 Jews in the city today compared with a Jewish population of nearly 10,000 in 1938.

Founding Funders

The digitization of the JTA Archive would not have been possible without the generous support of the following donors:
  • The Gottesman Fund
  • Righteous Persons Foundation
  • Charles H. Revson Foundation
  • Elisa Spungen Bildner and Robert Bildner, in honor of Norma Spungen
  • George S. Blumenthal
  • Grace and Scott Offen Charitable Fund